Acai Berries and Sports Nutrition
From the tall and slender acai palm tree, the acai berry is native to the Amazon rainforest. These delicious fruits are small, black, or deep purple, reminiscent of blueberries. Their unique taste is slightly tart, somewhat nutty, and subtly chocolaty. They are also considered a superfood.
Notable among their nutritional qualities is a high anthocyanin content. This potent antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory may help boost neurological, visual, cardiovascular, and digestive health and provide protection against various diseases.
The Health Benefits of Acai Berries
For indigenous populations, the berry can comprise up to a quarter of their diet – a staple. The fruit is unsuitable for consuming raw, so the edible pulp and juice are used, eaten in meals, drunk, or prepared as a cold soup with tapioca or manioc. Users also use the fruit medicinally to help manage fevers or to support wound closing and healing.
Modern commercial interest in the berry initially focused on culinary uses. More recently, however, attention has expanded to wellness, functional beverages, cosmetic, and energy applications:
- Wellness: Beyond the protective advantages of the berry’s anthocyanin component, the fruit is high in healthy fats and fiber. It may also assist in weight loss – the fiber enhancing satisfaction and fullness – and boosts energy levels and mood – thanks to iron, B Vitamins, tryptophan, and serotonin. Acai is often called the “brain berry”.
- Functional: The berry has also been called “nature’s multivitamin,” as including acai can add taste, mineral, and vitamin content. These multifunctional products add value across age groups and are aimed at supporting hydration, refreshment, and enhanced health.
- Anti-aging: This South American wonder may also help keep you looking youthful for longer. Essential omega-three fatty acids and powerful antioxidants, including flavonoids, help provide this anti-aging quality by supporting healthy skin and hair. The food is also low in sugar.
- Sports and energy: Not least, the energy-enhancing properties of acai help enhance performance and recovery. At the same time, the fruit’s fatty acids support healthy joints, reduce inflammation, and help boost blood circulation.
Is this modest fruit the new secret to success in athletics and sports? Let’s find out more.
The Sports Super Berry
The acai berry is invaluable to physically active people – before, during, and after activity. Performance benefits include:
- Protein: Most athletes, whether professional or not, would agree that enough of the right protein equals power and recovery. Happily, Acai contains nineteen amino acids, the building blocks of protein. The berry also offers carbohydrates to sustain energy and replenish glycogen reserves.
- Minerals: The acai berry provides significant amounts of calcium and potassium, helping to support bone strength, proper hydration, and optimal muscle function. These vital minerals are especially needed during sports and workouts when sweating.
- Help with healing: To help neutralize free radical build-up during exercise, athletes rely on acai’s antioxidants which boast one of the highest natural ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) values. Finally, the fruit’s plasma antioxidant activity may help repair exercise-induced muscle damage.
The humble yet heroic acai berry is widely considered delicious and refreshing, available in frozen, puréed, extract, oil, or powdered form. You’ll find it in supplements, shakes, and sports nutrition products such as energy bars, shakes, and gels, including an energy range developed in collaboration with famed footballer Christiano Ronaldo.
At the same time, the berry’s antioxidants are vulnerable to humidity, light, and temperature. So, when sourcing your acai berry extracts, turn to reputable producers such as Advanced Biotech.
Boost Your Portfolios Nutritional and Flavor Profile With Advanced Biotech
Rely on our responsibly sourced, sustainably and cost-efficiently produced, and EU-certified acai berry extract to add value to your offering. Contact us today to place your order.